At Christ the King Catholic Primary Academy, we encourage every child to strive for their very best through our school motto, ‘We Can and We Will.’ In order to fulfil this ‘mission’ we build foundations to enable every child to become literate, preparing them with the skills for adult life.
Literacy is a fundamental and integral part of the school curriculum and is taught both as a discreet subject and across the wider curriculum. In studying Literacy, we want pupils to develop skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing that will enable them to express themselves creatively and imaginatively and to communicate with others effectively and independently. We want pupils to learn to become enthusiastic and critical readers of stories, poetry and drama, as well as non-fiction and media texts. Through the study of Literacy, pupils should begin to understand how language works, looking at its patterns, structures and origins. Using this knowledge, pupils will learn to choose and adapt what they say and write in different situations.
It is our intent at Christ the King Catholic Primary Academy to:
- To provide pupils with a high-quality education in English that will teach pupils to speak, read and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others effectively.
- To equip pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through reading for enjoyment.
- To teach pupils to read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- To help pupils develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- To ensure that pupils acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- To teach pupils to write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- To enable pupils to use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.